Miles co-founded Milestone in 2008. He is the co-author of International Tax Systems and Planning Techniques (Sweet & Maxwell) and The Principles of International Tax Planning (Corpus), as well as numerous academic articles.
Miles acts for a wide range of clients including:
- owner-managed businesses;
- investment funds and PE houses;
- real estate developers;
- sportsmen and entertainers; and
- entrepreneurs and HNWIs.
He is also regularly retained by trustees to provide advice on cross border tax issues relating to trusts.
Miles has been vocal in the tax avoidance debate and is frequently asked for comment by the national daily papers, TV and radio. Miles specialises in finding bespoke, commercially workable solutions that create significant tax benefits for individual and corporate clients.
Miles’ recent transaction highlights include:
- structuring a multi-phase mixed use property development in London’s Canary Wharf with a gross development value of £650mn
- advising a business process outsourcing company on the implementation of a cross border share scheme, application of the Diverted Profits T and structuring a joint venture with a U.S. telecoms group
- advising a PE house on a new €330m fund focused on UK and Benelux acquisition targets, to include advice on the UK investment advisory, carried interest and co-investment vehicles and participation rights;
- advising on the establishment of a group treasury function for a US MNE’s EMEA operations taking into account transfer pricing, PE and double tax treaty issues
- advising trustees on tax efficient de-enveloping of UK residential property investments;
- advising a Family Office on a post death variation of a deceased family member’s estate; and
- advising various individuals on how to undertake a voluntary disclosure with HMRC and the IRS.
- International Bar Association
- International Fiscal Association
- Tax Faculty ICAEW
- Hong Kong Venture Capital Association
- Transnational Taxation Network
Miles is also a Trustee of Regain, the trust for sports tetraplegics.